The Flagship Detroit was manufactured in early 1937 and American Airlines accepted delivery of the Detroit on March 2, 1937. The airplane was designated as a Douglas DC-3-G102. It was the twenty-fourth DC-3 in American’s fleet which eventually totaled eighty-four aircraft. American Airlines flew the Detroit in regular passenger service until 1947 at which time it was sold. Since the airplane was not conscripted into military service during World War II, American used this airplane for a considerable amount of print advertising during the early 1940’s. Since the Army Air Corps did not have a dedicated airplane for the President during this time, the Detroit had the distinction of carrying the First Lady, Eleanor Roosevelt, on several occasions.